MY EXPERIMENTS

by 6:05 AM 0 comments
By Madhu Ramachandra on August 24, 2013

PROJECT REACHOUT:
It is an initiative undertaken by a group of like-minded students who aim at working in various social service organizations in Mysore…
Technically, five days back, this is what it meant to me. But today, having been a part of it and volunteering for the project, the satisfaction I feel is something that merely cannot be explained with words.
Well, on SUNDAY (5 days ago), when this idea became viral, it was just another post on my group in whatsapp. Then two days passed with not much info regarding Project ReachOut.
On Tuesday, on my way to the college, Project ReachOut was, to me, just another idea that would die off with time. But later, I realized the scenario was totally different. I saw seven 20 year olds, all excited and trying to be a part of making a difference in the society. It was all about extending a helpful hand to those in need.
Yesterday, when Gaurav asked me if I was willing to teach in one of the government schools, Manasagangothri Educational Institution, it was like a new challenge in front of me, which I always wanted to do. I wholeheartedly welcomed their request and agreed to guide the little kids.
Well, at around 1:30 today, I reached THE PLACE and got to meet the head of Spoorthi Foundation, Mr. Santhosh, who showed us our way around. As we waited, all sorts of thoughts filled my mind. What would it be like to teach kids of their age? Will I be able to manage the class? Will I do justice to the work assigned to me?
When my friend Adarsh and me entered the class, there was a group of 20 kids, running around, screaming their heads out and jumping all over the place. We waited for them to settle down and then, after the introduction session, we started teaching them. The enthusiasm they showed was overwhelming!
Now, as I sit and evaluate my day, I come to understand that this day couldn’t have been better. Having had a firsthand experience with those kids, I now know why my friends started Project ReachOut.
We all have to give, there is always something to give, so, let’s make a change. Let us Reach out.


0 comments:

Post a Comment